Thursday, July 11, 2013

Euglena ?

A few days ago I went to a new juice & smoothie bar called Juice Zone here in Shibuya. Ordered an euglena smoothie, without having a slightest what euglena is.  I did some googling and that's what I found:

*Euglena, a simple, single-celled organism that grows in fresh water and istrumpeted as a solution to food shortages, a potential replacement for fossil fuels and a way to reduce CO2 emissions. 
*Euglena  are 1mm long thin organisms that give water a greenish hue when they multiply in ponds. 
*Because the organism grows by photosynthesis, it’s capable of reducing CO2 emissions.

The smoothie itself is in a greenish hue I can't quite tell how it tastes... rather sweet.. nothing like seaweed or other bitter green smoothies. I liked it anyway!
Apparently Juice Zone is still the only place in Japan where you can find the euglena smoothie.

6 comments:

  1. The juice sounds very interesting! I've never heard of Euglena before either. I wish we have a decent Juice Bar where I'm from! :(

    xo runbarbierun.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this sounds really cool, wish I could try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see.. maybe it's going spread all over the world :)

      Delete
  3. wow! you guys didn't have biology class in you school or what? it's a shame none of you have never heard of euglena. (must say)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, of course I've learned about single-celled organims in school.. I just hadn't heard that name.. maybe it's still coming next year. I'm still in high school, right..

      Delete
  4. i learn such cool things from your blog :)

    ReplyDelete