Saturday, September 20, 2014

City escapes

As I've been here in New York for almost two months now, I've began looking for ways how to "escape" crowded, noisy and dirty Manhattan.

Just a 15 minute subway trip and I discovered myself in magnificent Brooklyn Botanic Garden. The highlights include a peaceful Japanese garden with a huge pond, a cherry esplanade, rose garden, green houses, herb gardens and many other things to discover. During the two hours I spent there, I saw just a few people...true blessing!


An 1 hour trip with an express A train takes you to Fort Tyron Park in the Hudson Heights.

The Cloisters, which is a branch of The Metropolitan Museum of Art (MET),  incorporates several medieval buildings that were purchased in Europe, brought to the United States, and reassembled, often stone by stone. For a moment I felt like I was in France or Italy instead of New York.

It is also home to the Unicorn Tapestries dating back to 15th century.


No comments:

Post a Comment