Sunday, March 6, 2016

Marukome - Definition of Japanese Kawaii

This time working in Tokyo was special for me as I did not only one but two TV-commercial jobs. First one them was for Jean Paul Gaultier's collaboration with Japan department store SEIBU and involved standing on set for 16 hours, making a few small steps and looking at the camera at the exact right second. You can see it here if interested.

The second one was for Marukome, Japan's oldest and largest miso produces. When I heard I have booked a commercial job for miso soup, I assumed it means me eating miso soup, saying oishiiiiiiiiii (tasty in Japanese) and smiling to the camera. Oh how wrong I was. Marukome has started producing world's first Kawaii Miso Soup aka now they are branding the miso soup, a staple in Japanese cuisine, as something kawaii and they were about to create an incredible film to illustrate it.  Kawaii is the easiest explained as a word for "cute" in Japanese. But it is probably so much more, something very unique built into Japanese DNA.

Shooting of this short film was hands down one of my most exciting and inspiring, also the most challenging jobs in Tokyo. My part in the movie is small but still involved getting dressed up as modern Geisha, sliding down my kimono jacket, performing the dance of Thousand-Hand Guan Yin and having hundreds of candies thrown on my face.  

Watch the full video here, with English subtitles


A few stills from the film








1 comment:

  1. Hello!

    I stumbled on your blogpost while looking for info one this beautiful short film.

    This is really an awesome and complex creation! There is so much details...
    The part you play in it is sort of mesmerizing. So strange and so beautiful at the same time. It's awesome! Great job!

    I would like to ask if you know the names of the sound tracks being used in this production ?
    I hope i'm not bothering you.

    Anyway, thanks for your time!
    Have a great day! and congratulation for this beautiful job!

    Jean-Yves

    ReplyDelete