Saturday, September 24, 2016

New York update 1

Oh my, how time flies when you are busy. I just finished the 4th week in school and it only gets busier and busier. And it's not even mid-terms nor finals week yet. I usually spend about 12 hours at school, staying at open studio to work on my jewelry or at library until it closes at midnight. It is not unusual to also go to school on weekends and work on my assignments due Monday. The library, in fact, is amazing and I don't really mind spending time there. They have amazing technology labs and every single art and fashion book you could possibly imagine. 
Although FIT is regarded as a fashion school, it is part of New York State regulated SUNY colleges implying that I'm also required to obtain a wide base of general education. For example now I'm taking English Composition, Intro to Science and Fashion Marketing classes in addition to those related to jewelry design. It is actually a nice change for very labour-intensive design and fabrication classes.
I am learning a lot and especially about the sides of jewelry design I hadn't thought about before. Drawing class is basically all about drafting and technical drawing, none of which I have previous experience in. Gemology aka science of gemstones feels a lot like physics and chemistry class (both of which were my least favorite subjects in high school). The whole program is very hands on and focused on technical training to have us ready to start working in the industry as soon as we graduate. 


The toughest part is finding balance between school, leisure and social life (and when am I supposed to go to laundromat and shop for groceries??). There are so many exhibitions in town right now I wanna see but I guess I have to put them off for a now until I have more time However, I did an effort and went to see Manus X Machina at MET Museum on its last day of showing. Definitely worth it! 

Meanwhile my iPhone got stolen (hey it's New York) so I lost most of my photos taken here.. and actually all my photos taken since January 2016 (tell me more about importance of back-ups...)  However, I managed to save a few..

on MET rooftop overlooking Central Park / Chrysler Building, my favourite art deco building in NY

 at The MET Anna Wintour's Costume Institute
Manus X MachinaFashion in The Age of Technology explores how fashion designers are reconciling the handmade and the machine-made in the creation of haute couture and avant-garde ready-to-wear.

Noa Raviv 3D printed dresses

left: Christopher Kane / right: Dior in the 50's


No comments:

Post a Comment